Followers

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Missionary Experience from Brother Forkner

This simple gospel principle can greatly impact people: We have the duty to carry the light of Christ that people might experience light and joy. Important things we can do include simply smiling and lifting people with a positive attitude. I remember that Sister Doris Millos taught us the principle found in the Doctrine & Covenant 50:22: “he that preacheth and he that receiveth, understand one another, and both are edified and rejoice together.” Doris used to always smile at her friend on Gallaudet campus. That friend always remembered how Doris had smiled at her. She was lifted up and it would help her have a good day. Her friend later decided to join the church because of Doris’ example set by simply smiling. I wanted to share my experience that applies this lesson taught by Sister Millos. On Friday, April 23rd, 2010, as I entered the elevator, I saw a lady with a sad face. I smiled and greeted at her, which led to a short conversation. Somehow her countenance started to shine. As we stepped out of the elevator and were about go in opposite directions, she stopped and turned around and she asked if she might with my wife to get some needed advice. I welcomed her to our place. She chatted with my wife, Melissa, for two hours. She asked questions concerning the purpose of life on this earth, and Melissa helped her to understand our perspective of God. Melissa and I could see the Spirit of the Lord affecting this woman. We perceived that she felt happy and comfortable in our place. She was surprised and thrilled to learn that we have an LDSSA organization on Gallaudet campus. She said, “I wish to know about LDSSA organization earlier, nobody ever told me about it. I would like to join.” She also said, “Why don't you advertise the organization?” She also said, “I think that I found right church.” She wanted to learn more about the Church and wants to investigate further. Melissa and I pray with all of our hearts that she will follow the Spirit and develop a desire to learn more about the Gospel. Our hope is that she will stop by our place for another conversation once we finish our final exams.

No comments:

Post a Comment